Friday, February 6, 2009

Michael Phelps Feels The Pressure


We guess they felt that Golden Boy Michael Phelps was getting off too easily, because he's finally feeling some fallout from the bong photos. He's been suspended by USA Swimming for the next 3 months and he's lost his Kelloggs endorsement.

But, many of Phelps' teammates and colleagues have come to the 23-year-old's defense.

His coach Bob Bowman now says, "Michael’s been through a lot and he’s learned a lot, hopefully. I support him and I want to see him do better. I’m here, as always, to try to help him move forward. He’s learned some tough lessons and he’s disappointed a lot of people, me included."

41-year-old silver medalist, Dara Torres, whom Phelps jokingly nicknamed "Mom," says, "I see him as a kid trying to grow up in the most intense spotlight known to any athlete. He has apologized and what else can he do?. The thing I hope is that people realize Michael is still a person and not just a swimming hero," adding, "He didn’t let the USA down at the games, so we shouldn’t let him down."

Fellow swimmer Amanda Beard, who received criticism after posing nude in Playboy, was a little more direct, saying, "If anyone knows public scrutiny, it’s me. When I posed for Playboy, so many officials looked down on me. Michael knows he isn’t a bad person. He made a mistake. People need to get over it. I want to cheer him on in London."

And rival agent Evan Morgenstein seemed to sum up the majority's opinion, saying, "Enough is enough. The penalty is far greater than the crime. He has said he is sorry. Let’s move on to the real problems in this country."



1 comment: