Monday, March 30, 2009

Consider using Chegg for Textbooks



As a college student it's hard to come up with money to pay for tuition and books. I attend CSU East Bay and the bookstore prices are insane! It was comical today the professor asked how many students actually buy their books at the bookstore and out of a class of 70 about 3 students raised their hands. It's hard to mustard $180 for a book you will use for 3 months. Ebay is a great source for books and so is Amazon but recently a fellow student told me about renting text books and I thought what a great idea, but is it really worth it? So I went to the site and checked it out at Chegg.com and must say the prices were great! instead of buying a book for $180 at the bookstore or on Ebay for around $100 I could rent the book for the quarter for $57. Than I did the math well if I bought it for $180 and sold it for $70 when I was done I would have paid $110 for the quarter. Maybe if I get it at Ebay for $100 and sell it for $70 I would have paid a total of $30, but than I would have to pay to ship and then Ebay takes a 15% cut on all textbooks so out of the $70 I would see $60 and than paypal takes a cut so maybe $57 I would see?? and that's if I'm lucky enough even to sell the book and it remains its value in a few months. This way I don't have to worry about selling my book back to make some money. I get a great price on the book up front and they supply a return shipping label for me when I am done. I recommend it and let me know if any of you have used this service or similar ones and what was your experiance?


1 comment:

  1. Got a book that would have cost $107 for $50 a quarter. Pretty good because would have been impossible to resell for a profit. It came fast and book is in great condition.

    ReplyDelete